Thursday, January 23, 2014

 LOCAL POLITICS | NATIONAL POLITICS | POLITICS | STATE POLITICS

Kathy Hoekstra: In Agema controversy, Blurred Lines, not vision

040313_AgemaCaveman
This past summer, there was a catchy, popular top 40 song by Robin Thicke called “Blurred Lines.”
The song title strikes me as I watch the Dave Agema saga continue to unfold. And it is all due to Facebook. The social media platform is where it all started — through a trio of posts by Agema containing anti-gay and anti-Muslim rhetoric, and where people keep coming back for more.
The Facebook dust-up has drawn ire and passion from the broadest spectrum of people who tread through life very differently: journalists, Tea Party activists, Republicans, Democrats, politicians, pundits, commentators, gadflies, men, women, gays, straight, fathers, mothers, children, grandparents… this list is fascinatingly endless. And I’m on it.
Yesterday, a retired grandmother and co-advocate for freedom posed a number of questions to me about my positions on several issues that went beyond the scope of the Agema drama. But unlike other Agema supporters, she did not resort to name calling, hyperbole or senseless rabbit holes.
I wondered if I should toe the line, or blur it. READ MORE

No comments:

Post a Comment